To save the most money, the best way to get affordable car insurance rates is to start doing a yearly price comparison from insurance carriers in Omaha.
- Spend a few minutes and learn about how insurance companies determine prices and the measures you can control to prevent high rates. Many things that cause rate increases such as speeding tickets, accidents and a substandard credit history can be rectified by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. This article gives instructions to help prevent costly coverage and find additional discounts you may qualify for.
- Compare price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can provide rates from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes from multiple companies. Click to view companies
- Compare the new rates to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper price is available in Omaha. If you find a lower rate quote and make a switch, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
An important part of this process is to make sure you enter the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each quote request and and to get prices from as many different companies as possible. Doing this provides a level playing field and a thorough price selection.
It’s hard to fathom, but almost 70% of insureds kept buying from the same company for at least the last four years, and nearly the majority have never shopped around. With the average premium in Nebraska being $1,440, drivers could save as much as $390 each year by just comparing quotes, but most undervalue the large savings they would see if they moved their coverage to a different company.
Buying the cheapest car insurance in Omaha is much easier if you know where to start. If you are already insured, you should be able to reduce the price you pay using the following tips. Drivers just need to use the proper methods to compare company rates instantly.
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer price comparisons in Nebraska. If you want to find the best cheap auto insurance in Omaha, NE, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get the most affordable price.
Get cheaper Volvo S60 insurance in Omaha with discounts
Auto insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but you might already qualify for some discounts to help bring down the price. Certain credits will be shown when you quote, but a few need to be requested specifically before being credited.
- ABS Brakes – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can reduce accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Payment Method – By paying your policy upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you may reduce your total bill.
- Savings for New Vehicles – Insuring a vehicle that is new can get you a discount since new vehicles are generally safer.
- Theft Deterrent Discount – Vehicles optioned with advanced anti-theft systems help deter theft and will save you 10% or more on S60 insurance in Omaha.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Purchasing coverage when you have multiple cars or trucks on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Driving less could be rewarded with discounted prices on garaged vehicles.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle up may be able to save a few bucks off the PIP or medical payment premium.
We need to note that some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. Despite the appearance that having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you aren’t that lucky.
A list of auto insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts are included below.
- GEICO offers discounts for defensive driver, daytime running lights, emergency military deployment, anti-lock brakes, multi-vehicle, and federal employee.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers premium reductions for good student, teen driver, student away at school, paid in full, and safe driver.
- American Family offers discounts including accident-free, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, good student, and Steer into Savings.
- Esurance discounts include claim free, defensive driver, paid-in-full, Switch & Save, anti-lock brakes, online quote, and online shopper.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including multi-vehicle, online signing, good student, multi-policy, and continuous coverage.
- State Farm includes discounts for safe vehicle, accident-free, Drive Safe & Save, student away at school, and good driver.
- AAA has savings for anti-theft, AAA membership discount, good student, pay-in-full, multi-policy, multi-car, and good driver.
When getting free Omaha auto insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to each insurance company which discounts you qualify for. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be offered in every state. To find insurers with discount auto insurance rates in Omaha, follow this link.
Why do I need car insurance?
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Volvo in Omaha, maintaining insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means the state requires a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Nebraska these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your S60 has a loan, most lenders will require you to carry insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may buy a policy for your Volvo at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your Volvo and your personal assets. It also can pay for most medical and hospital costs that are the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay attorney fees if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying enough insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially with large liability claims. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is overpaying more than $820 a year so shop around at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Best car insurance company in Nebraska
Ending up with the top company can be difficult considering how many companies there are in Omaha. The ranking data listed below may help you pick which insurers you want to consider comparing rates with.
Top 10 Omaha Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- USAA – A++
- GEICO – A++
- Travelers – A++
- State Farm – A++
- Allstate – A+
- Progressive – A+
- Mercury Insurance – A+
- The Hartford – A+
- Nationwide – A+
- Esurance – A+
Tailor your auto insurance coverage to you
Always keep in mind that when comparing coverage online or from an agent, there really isn’t a cookie cutter policy. You are unique.
For instance, these questions could help you determine if your situation would benefit from professional advice.
- How high should deductibles be on a Volvo S60?
- Do I need more liability coverage?
- When should I remove my kid from my policy?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- When should I remove comp and collision on my Volvo S60?
- Am I covered while delivering pizza?
- Are my custom wheels covered?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- What is the ISO rating for a Volvo S60?
- Am I missing any policy discounts?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and you can get the answers you need.
Get rate quotes but buy from a local Omaha insurance agency
Some people still like to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that can be a smart move Professional insurance agents can answer important questions and help in the event of a claim. One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is that drivers can save money and get lower rates but still work with a licensed agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, the quote information is transmitted to agents in your area that provide free Omaha auto insurance quotes for your business. You never need to contact any agents since rate quotes are delivered directly to your email. If you have a need to get a price quote from one company in particular, you would need to go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Picking the best company is decision based upon more than just a cheap price. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
Auto insurance coverages 101
Knowing the specifics of your auto insurance policy aids in choosing the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be ambiguous and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Medical expense insurance
Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for short-term medical expenses like EMT expenses, X-ray expenses, rehabilitation expenses, chiropractic care and funeral costs. The coverages can be utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. It covers not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and also covers any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Coverage for collisions
This coverage will pay to fix damage to your S60 from colliding with another car or object. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage protects against things like scraping a guard rail, hitting a mailbox and colliding with a tree. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to increase the deductible on your S60 in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance will pay to fix damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things such as hail damage, damage from a tornado or hurricane and fire damage. The most you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Auto liability insurance
Liability insurance protects you from damages or injuries you inflict on other’s property or people. This insurance protects YOU against claims from other people, and does not provide coverage for your injuries or vehicle damage.
Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. Your policy might show values of 25/50/25 that means you have $25,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a total of $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a total limit of $25,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability coverage protects against claims like attorney fees, funeral expenses and medical expenses. How much coverage you buy is a personal decision, but buy higher limits if possible. Nebraska requires drivers to carry at least 25/50/25 but drivers should carry more liability than the minimum.
The illustration below shows why buying the state minimum limits may not provide adequate coverage.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other drivers when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants and damage to your Volvo S60.
Since many Nebraska drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (which is 25/50/25), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important.