Astonishing but true, the vast majority of drivers kept their coverage with the same car insurance company for more than four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never compared rates from other carriers. Drivers in Omaha can save hundreds of dollars each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don’t know the big savings they would realize if they switched to a more affordable policy.
To save the most money, the best way to get discount auto insurance rates is to compare prices annually from providers in Omaha. You can compare prices by completing these steps.
- Step 1: Take a few minutes and learn about car insurance and the things you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating criteria that result in higher prices such as careless driving and an unfavorable credit rating can be controlled by making minor changes to your lifestyle. This article provides more ideas to help reduce premium rates and earn larger discounts.
- Step 2: Compare rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can provide rates from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes from many different companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rates to your existing rates and see if you can save money. If you can save some money and decide to switch, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Provide written notification to your current company to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit a down payment along with a completed application to the new company. Be sure to put the new certificate verifying proof of insurance with the vehicle registration.
One key aspect when comparing rates is to compare similar coverage information on every quote and and to get rate quotes from as many auto insurance providers as possible. Doing this provides an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete selection of prices.
Determine discounts on Omaha auto insurance
Auto insurance can be pricey, but you might find some hidden discounts that may help make it more affordable. A few discounts will automatically apply at quote time, but some must be specifically requested prior to receiving the credit. If you do not double check each discount you deserve, you are just wasting money.
- Government Employee Discount – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can earn a discount up to 10% but check with your company.
- Active Military Service – Having a deployed family member could qualify you for better auto insurance rates.
- Multi-policy Discount – When you combine your auto and home insurance and insure them with the same company you could save nearly 15% which can help you find cheaper GT insurance.
- Distant Student Discount – College-age children living away from Omaha attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle can receive lower rates.
- Low Miles Discount – Low annual miles could be rewarded with discounted prices on garaged vehicles.
- Omaha Homeowners Discount – Just being a homeowner can help you save on auto insurance due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- ABS Brakes – Cars and trucks with anti-lock braking systems can avoid accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Paper-free Discount – A handful of companies provide a small discount for buying your policy on their website.
Just know that most discount credits are not given to the whole policy. Some only apply to individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. If you do the math and it seems like you can get free auto insurance, you aren’t that lucky.
A few of the larger companies and their possible discounts are included below.
- Farmers Insurance may have discounts that include good student, multi-car, homeowner, bundle discounts, teen driver, alternative fuel, and pay in full.
- Esurance offers premium reductions for paid-in-full, anti-theft, claim free, multi-car, Pac-12 alumni, good driver, and good student.
- State Farm discounts include multiple autos, safe vehicle, driver’s education, multiple policy, accident-free, Drive Safe & Save, and good student.
- GEICO may offer discounts for military active duty, driver training, five-year accident-free, federal employee, multi-policy, anti-theft, and air bags.
- Allstate offers discounts including good payer, economy car, auto/life discount, senior citizen, anti-lock brakes, safe driver, and eSmart discount.
Before buying, ask each company what discounts are available to you. Some discounts listed above might not be offered on policies in your state. To locate auto insurance companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in Nebraska, follow this link.
The following companies are our best choices to provide price comparisons in Nebraska. In order to find the best car insurance in Omaha, we suggest you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
Why Your Insurance Costs might be higher
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that help calculate the rates you pay for insurance. When you understand what determines premiums, this enables informed choices that can earn you lower rates.
With age comes lower prices – Young drivers in Nebraska are statistically proven to be inattentive behind the wheel therefore insurance rates are much higher. Mature drivers tend to be more responsible, tend to file fewer claims, and usually have better credit.
High credit scores equal low premiums – Credit history can be a huge factor in determining premium rates. So if your credit leaves room for improvement, you may save money insuring your Ford GT by spending a little time repairing your credit. People with high credit scores tend to file fewer claims than drivers who have worse credit.
Save money with theft deterrents – Driving a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack help track and prevent car theft.
Always have insurance – Driving with no insurance can get your license suspended and insurance companies will penalize you for letting your insurance lapse. And not only will your rates increase, not being able to provide proof of insurance might get you fines or a revoked license.
Five star IIHS safety rating saves money – Vehicles that have high safety ratings get lower rates. Safer cars reduce injuries and any reduction in injury severity means lower claim amounts and more competitive rates for policyholders. If the Ford GT has at least an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website it is probably cheaper to insure.
File policy claims and pay more – If you’re an insured who likes to file claims don’t be surprised to see much higher rates or policy non-renewal. Car insurance companies in Nebraska award the best rates to policyholders who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Auto insurance is intended for more catastrophic claims.
More policies can equal more savings – The majority of insurance companies provide discounts to customers that have more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you qualify for this discount already, you still need to check prices from other companies to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
Men drivers tend to cost more – Statistics have proven that females take fewer risks when driving. The data does not necessarily mean that males are worse at driving than females. Males and females tend to get into auto accidents in similar numbers, but males cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Not only are claims higher, but men get more serious tickets like driving under the influence (DUI). Male teenagers are the most expensive to insure and therefore pay the highest rates.
When in doubt talk to an agent
When it comes to your policy, there isn’t really a one size fits all plan. Each situation is unique and your insurance should unique, too. For example, these questions can aid in determining whether you would benefit from professional advice.
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
- Can I cancel at any time?
- Is upholstery damage covered by car insurance?
- How can I find cheaper teen driver insurance?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Does my policy cover me if I wreck while driving under the influence?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and you can get the answers you need.
Local Omaha auto insurance agents
Many drivers just want to sit down with an agent and often times that is recommended Agents can help you choose the best coverages and help submit paperwork. The biggest benefit of getting online price quotes is you can get cheap rate quotes and still have an agent to talk to.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, your information is sent to local insurance agents who will return price quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won’t need to search for an agent since rate quotes are delivered to you. If you want to compare prices from a specific insurance provider, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and submit a quote form there.
Finding the right insurer needs to be determined by more than just the premium amount. A good agent in Omaha will have answers to these questions.
- Will one accident increase rates?
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
- How many companies do they write for?
- Which companies do they recommend if they are an independent agency?
- By raising physical damage deductibles, how much would you save?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Omaha?
Is an exclusive or independent auto insurance agent right for you?
If you are wanting to find a local agent, you must know there are a couple types of agencies from which to choose. Insurance agencies may be either independent or exclusive. Both types of agents can insure your vehicles properly, but it is important to understand the difference in how they write coverage since it could factor into your selection of an agent.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These type of agents are contracted to one company like Allstate, State Farm and Farm Bureau. They usually cannot compare other company’s rates so you need to shop around if the rates are high. These agents are trained well on their company’s products which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Below are Omaha exclusive agencies who may provide you with rate quotes.
Agents in the independent channel often have affiliation with several companies and that allows them to write policies amongst many companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To move your coverage to a new company, they simply move the coverage in-house and you don’t have to switch agencies. If you are comparing insurance prices, you will want to get quotes from a couple of independent agencies so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Listed below are independent insurance agents in Omaha willing to provide price quote information.
Three reasons to insure your vehicle
Even though it can be expensive, buying car insurance is required in Nebraska but also provides important benefits.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require specific minimum amounts of liability coverage if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Nebraska these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Ford GT with a loan, most banks will force you to have insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Ford at a significantly higher premium and require you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards not only your Ford GT but also your financial assets. It will also provide coverage for hospital and medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay to defend you if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying enough insurance outweigh the cost, especially with large liability claims. But the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $869 every year so we recommend shopping around at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Omaha car insurance companies
Buying coverage from the best car insurance provider can be challenging considering how many companies sell coverage in Omaha. The ranking information shown next could help you decide which car insurance companies to look at comparing rates from.
Top 10 Omaha Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- Mercury Insurance
- State Farm
- Safeco Insurance
- American Family
- Titan Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
Top 10 Omaha Car Insurance Companies Overall
- 21st Century
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
- Safeco Insurance
- State Farm
- American Family
Be persistent to save money
Low-cost Ford GT insurance in Omaha can be sourced both online as well as from independent agents in Omaha, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best selection. Some insurance providers may not offer the ability to get a quote online and usually these smaller companies sell through independent agents.
When you buy Omaha car insurance online, it’s a bad idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are many occasions where someone sacrificed liability limits or collision coverage only to find out that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your goal should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the best cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Additional insurance information is located on the following sites:
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)
- How Much are Omaha Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers Over Age 70? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Teenage Males in Omaha? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for State Employees in Omaha? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for a Subaru Outback in Omaha? (FAQ)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)