If you want to save money, the best way to get the cheapest car insurance rates is to start doing an annual price comparison from different companies who sell insurance in Omaha. Rates can be compared by following these steps.
- First, read about how insurance companies determine prices and the changes you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that cause rate increases such as accidents, traffic violations, and a lousy credit rating can be eliminated by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. This article provides additional ideas to help keep rates affordable and find missing discounts.
- Second, request price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can give you price quotes from multiple insurance companies.
- Third, compare the new rates to the premium of your current policy and determine if cheaper Matrix coverage is available. If you can save some money and decide to switch, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, notify your current company of your decision to cancel your current policy. Submit a down payment along with a signed application to your new company or agent. When you receive it, put the certificate of insurance in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
One bit of advice is to try to use similar coverage information on every price quote and and to look at as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this provides an accurate price comparison and a thorough price selection.
A recent car insurance study revealed that over 70% of drivers have stayed with the same insurance company for more than four years, and about 40% of consumers have never compared rates with other companies. Drivers in Nebraska could save an average of 30% each year, but they think it’s difficult to find cheaper insurance by shopping around.
If you are insured now, you should be able to find the best rates using the concepts covered in this article. Buying the cheapest car insurance in Omaha is quite easy. But Nebraska car owners must know the way insurance companies determine prices because it varies considerably.
To find more affordable rates, there are a couple of ways to compare rate quotes from local Omaha auto insurance companies. The fastest way to comparison shop consists of obtaining rate quotes online.
Online shopping is fast and free, and it makes it a waste of time to physically go to all the different Omaha insurance agencies. Quoting Toyota Matrix insurance online has reduced the need for local agents unless you require the peace of mind of a local Omaha agent. Some companies do allow you to price shop your coverage online but have a local agent actually write the policy. When comparing auto insurance rates, know that getting more free quotes helps locate lower pricing.
The following companies offer quotes in Omaha, NE. To find the best auto insurance in Nebraska, it’s a good idea that you click on several of them to find the most competitive car insurance rates.
Car insurance statistics for a Toyota Matrix
The data table displayed next showcases different coverage prices for Toyota Matrix models. Having a good understanding how insurance policy premiums are calculated can help you make smart choices when selecting a policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Matrix S 2WD||$130||$266||$308||$18||$92||$814||$68|
|Matrix S AWD||$130||$266||$308||$18||$92||$814||$68|
|Matrix XRS 2WD||$130||$266||$308||$18||$92||$814||$68|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Nebraska minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, and safe-driver. Premium costs do not factor in garaging location in Omaha which can increase or decrease prices substantially.
The diagram below shows how different deductible levels and can affect Toyota Matrix insurance premiums for each different age group. The premium estimates are based on a married male driver, comp and collision included, and no policy discounts are applied.
Driving violations and accidents
The example below illustrates how violations and at-fault collisions can increase Toyota Matrix insurance premiums for different age categories. The premiums are based on a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Toyota Matrix insurance discounts in Omaha
Some companies don’t always publicize all their discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the list below gives a summary of both the well known and also the lesser-known discounts you could be receiving when you buy Omaha car insurance online.
- Employee of Federal Government – Simply working for the federal government can earn a discount up to 10% but check with your company.
- Paperless Signup – Many larger companies will give you a small discount simply for signing on their website.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to fasten their seat belts can save a little off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Driver Education Discount – Have your child take driver’s ed class if it’s offered in school.
- Own a Home – Just being a homeowner can save a few bucks because of the fact that having a home requires personal responsibility.
- New Car Discount – Adding a new car to your policy can be considerably cheaper since new vehicles are generally safer.
- College Student Discount – Any of your kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Omaha and don’t have a car can receive lower rates.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles with factory air bags or automatic seat belts may get savings up to 30%.
Discounts lower rates, but most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Just because you may think you can get free auto insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way.
The information below illustrates the comparison of Toyota Matrix premium costs with and without discounts. The information is based on a female driver, no violations or accidents, Nebraska state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, safe-driver, multi-policy, homeowner, marriage, and multi-car discounts applied.
A few of the larger companies and some of the discounts are included below.
- Progressive offers discounts including homeowner, online quote discount, good student, multi-vehicle, and continuous coverage.
- MetLife may have discounts that include claim-free, defensive driver, good student, multi-policy, and good driver.
- Mercury Insurance includes discounts for multi-policy, good driver, anti-theft, annual mileage, good student, ease of repair, and low natural disaster claims.
- Nationwide has savings for easy pay, defensive driving, accident-free, anti-theft, family plan, good student, and Farm Bureau membership.
- GEICO may offer discounts for daytime running lights, five-year accident-free, emergency military deployment, good student, defensive driver, and driver training.
- AAA policyholders can earn discounts including education and occupation, multi-car, multi-policy, pay-in-full, good student, and anti-theft.
Before you buy a policy, ask each company or agent which credits you are entitled to. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply in Omaha. To find companies offering insurance discounts in Omaha, click here.
Three main reasons to buy auto insurance
Even though Omaha Matrix insurance rates can get expensive, auto insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage if you want to drive legally. In Nebraska these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Toyota Matrix with a loan, almost all lenders will require that you buy full coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Toyota for a much higher rate and force you to pay for it.
- Insurance protects both your vehicle and your assets. Insurance will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay to defend you in the event you are sued. If you have damage to your Toyota as the result of the weather or an accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially if you ever need it. An average driver in America is currently overpaying as much as $830 a year so you should quote your policy with other companies every year to ensure rates are competitive.
Omaha auto insurance companies ranked
Ending up with the highest-rated car insurance provider is difficult considering how many different companies insure vehicles in Nebraska. The company ratings displayed below can help you decide which auto insurers to look at when comparing rates.
Top 10 Omaha Car Insurance Companies Overall
- 21st Century
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
- Safeco Insurance
- State Farm
- American Family
Do I need special coverages?
When it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage, there really isn’t a best way to insure your cars. You are unique.
These are some specific questions can aid in determining whether your personal situation may require specific advice.
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- Is my vehicle covered by my employer’s policy when using it for work?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- Am I covered if I hit a deer?
- What is medical payments coverage?
If you can’t answer these questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Neighborhood agents and auto insurance
A small number of people still prefer to buy from a local agent and doing that can be a smart decision One of the benefits of comparing rate quotes online is you may find cheap auto insurance rates but still work with a licensed agent.
After completing this simple form, your information is emailed to participating agents in Omaha that give free quotes for your auto insurance coverage. There is no need to contact any insurance agencies because quoted prices will be sent directly to your email. It’s the lowest rates without a big time investment. In the event you want to quote rates for a specific company, don’t hesitate to navigate to their website and submit a quote form there.
Deciding on an provider requires more thought than just the price. Any agent in Omaha should have no problem answering these questions:
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- How often do they review coverages?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
Omaha car insurance agents come in two flavors
If you are searching for a reputable agency, it can be helpful to understand the types of insurance agents to choose from. Auto insurance agents in Omaha are considered either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel can only provide pricing for a single company like Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. They usually cannot place coverage with different providers so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive insurance agents are highly trained on the products they sell which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Shown below are exclusive agents in Omaha who can help you get rate quotes.
American Family Insurance – S De Los Reyes Agency Inc.
5052 S 108th St – Omaha, NE 68137 – (402) 339-9052 – View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type are not required to write business for one company so they can write business with multiple insurance companies and potentially find a lower price. If you want to switch companies, your agent can switch companies and you can keep the same agent. If you are comparing auto insurance prices, you will definitely want to include several independent agencies to get the best comparison.
Shown below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Omaha that are able to give price quote information.
Specific coverages for a Toyota Matrix
Understanding the coverages of a car insurance policy can help you determine appropriate coverage and proper limits and deductibles. Policy terminology can be confusing and reading a policy is terribly boring.
Medical expense insurance
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage kick in for expenses for things like doctor visits, rehabilitation expenses, ambulance fees and dental work. They are often used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. It covers you and your occupants and will also cover if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP is not available in all states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Liability car insurance
Liability coverage can cover injuries or damage you cause to other’s property or people in an accident. Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You commonly see limits of 25/50/25 which stand for a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and property damage coverage for $25,000.
Liability insurance covers claims like attorney fees, loss of income, repair costs for stationary objects, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and pain and suffering. How much coverage you buy is up to you, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as high a limit as you can afford. Nebraska requires drivers to carry at least 25/50/25 but you should consider buying more liability than the minimum.
The chart below shows why low liability limits may not be high enough to adequately cover claims.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other motorists when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered losses include hospital bills for your injuries as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Due to the fact that many Nebraska drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (which is 25/50/25), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is a good idea.
Auto collision coverage
Collision coverage covers damage to your Matrix resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You first must pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers claims such as rolling your car, sideswiping another vehicle, colliding with another moving vehicle, backing into a parked car and hitting a mailbox. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. Another option is to raise the deductible on your Matrix in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance coverage will pay to fix damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You need to pay your deductible first then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as falling objects, hitting a deer, vandalism and hail damage. The highest amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider dropping full coverage.