Smart shoppers know that car insurance companies don’t want you to look for cheaper rates. Consumers who get comparison quotes once a year are inclined to buy a new policy because of the high probability of finding discount prices. A recent survey discovered that people who compared price quotes annually saved $72 a month compared to drivers who don’t regularly compare prices.
If finding low prices for insurance is your objective, then learning about how to get rate quotes and compare car insurance can save time, money, and frustration.
The easiest way to find affordable quotes for Buick Verano insurance is to annually compare prices from different companies who provide car insurance in Omaha. You can shop around by following these steps.
- First, get an understanding of how auto insurance works and the things you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating criteria that result in higher prices like traffic citations, accidents, and poor credit history can be rectified by making minor changes to your lifestyle. Continue reading for additional tips to prevent high rates and get additional discounts that may be available.
- Second, obtain price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give prices from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can quote prices from multiple companies.
- Third, compare the new quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if a cheaper price is available in Omaha. If you find a lower rate quote and make a switch, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, tell your current company to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit the application along with any required down payment to your new agent or company. As soon as you receive it, place your new certificate verifying proof of insurance with your registration paperwork.
The critical component of shopping around is to use the same deductibles and limits on each quote request and and to look at as many auto insurance providers as possible. This helps ensure an accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
Locating the best rates in Omaha is actually very simple if you learn how to start. Basically, every driver who is required to buy insurance should buy a cheaper policy. Although Nebraska drivers do need to learn how companies calculate your policy premium and use it to find better rates.
Eight discounts for lower-cost insurance rates
Some insurers don’t always publicize all discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the following is a list of both well-publicized and the harder-to-find savings tricks you should be using when you buy Omaha car insurance online.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you can bundle your home and auto insurance and insure them both with the same insurance company you could earn a discount of up to 20% off your total Verano insurance premium.
- Distant Student Discount – Children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and don’t have a car could qualify for this discount.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Drivers who don’t get into accidents could pay up to 40% less compared to accident prone drivers.
- Military Discounts – Having a family member in the military could mean lower premium rates.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking a class that teaches safe driver techniques could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may qualify for discounts of 25 to 30%.
- Seat Belts Save – Drivers who require all occupants to wear their seat belts can save a little on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Accident Waiver – Not a discount per se, but certain companies will allow you to have one accident without the usual rate increase with the catch being you have to be claim-free prior to the accident.
One last thing about discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Most cut individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. So even though you would think you could get a free insurance policy, that’s just not realistic.
A list of insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts can be found below.
- Progressive includes discounts for online signing, good student, online quote discount, homeowner, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle.
- GEICO offers discounts including anti-theft, driver training, federal employee, multi-policy, military active duty, good student, and multi-vehicle.
- State Farm may include discounts for student away at school, accident-free, passive restraint, multiple policy, safe vehicle, Drive Safe & Save, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- Esurance may have discounts that include Switch & Save, anti-lock brakes, DriveSense, Pac-12 alumni, and emergency road assistance.
- The Hartford may offer discounts for vehicle fuel type, anti-theft, defensive driver, good student, and bundle.
It’s a good idea to ask all companies you are considering the best way to save money. All car insurance discounts may not apply to policies everywhere. To see a list of companies with discount insurance rates in Nebraska, click here to view.
Auto insurance coverages explained
Knowing the specifics of auto insurance can be of help when determining the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be confusing and reading a policy is terribly boring. Shown next are typical coverage types available from auto insurance companies.
This pays for damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You need to pay your deductible first and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as vandalism, a tree branch falling on your vehicle and theft. The most your auto insurance company will pay is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider dropping full coverage.
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage provides protection when other motorists are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered claims include medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your Buick Verano.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (Nebraska limits are 25/50/25), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked.
This coverage protects you from damages or injuries you inflict on other people or property by causing an accident. Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have liability limits of 25/50/25 which stand for a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability insurance covers claims such as court costs, legal defense fees, repair costs for stationary objects, loss of income and repair bills for other people’s vehicles. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a personal decision, but buy as large an amount as possible. Nebraska requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/25 but you should consider buying higher limits.
The next chart demonstrates why low liability limits may not be enough coverage.
Coverage for medical payments
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for bills such as EMT expenses, X-ray expenses, doctor visits, surgery and chiropractic care. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. They cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is only offered in select states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Collision coverage protection
Collision insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. A deductible applies and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as driving through your garage door, crashing into a building, damaging your car on a curb and colliding with another moving vehicle. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider dropping it from lower value vehicles. Another option is to increase the deductible on your Verano in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Quote. Compare. Save.
Some insurance companies don’t offer online quoting and many times these regional insurance providers only sell coverage through independent insurance agencies. Discount Buick Verano insurance can be purchased online and from local agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates.
You just read a lot of tips how to lower your Buick Verano insurance prices in Omaha. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better your comparison will be. You may even discover the lowest prices are with an unexpected company. Some small companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost compared to the large companies like GEICO and State Farm.
Additional detailed information is available in these articles:
- Can I Drive Legally without Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 60 in Omaha? (FAQ)
- If I File a Claim will My Insurance Go Up? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Collision Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- State Car Insurance Guides (GEICO)