Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that a large majority of insurance policyholders have remained with the same insurance company for at least four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never quoted insurance rates at all. Most drivers in Nebraska could save an average of nearly $388 each year just by getting comparison quotes, but most undervalue how much they could save if they switched to a more affordable policy.
If you want to save the most money, the best way to get more affordable car insurance rates in Omaha is to annually compare prices from insurers who can sell car insurance in Nebraska.
- First, take a little time to learn about how car insurance works and the measures you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that cause rate increases such as speeding tickets, accidents and a lousy credit rating can be eliminated by making minor changes in your lifestyle. Later in this article we will cover additional ideas to find cheap prices and get bigger discounts that may have been overlooked.
- Second, compare rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can give quotes from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can provide prices from multiple insurance companies.
- Third, compare the new rates to your current policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a lower rate quote and change companies, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, provide notification to your current company to cancel your current coverage. Submit a completed policy application and payment to your new company or agent. Once the paperwork is finalized, safely store the certificate verifying proof of insurance in your vehicle’s glove compartment or console.
The critical component of shopping around is to try to use the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on every price quote and and to get rates from as many companies as possible. Doing this enables an accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
Cheaper rates on Kia Spectra insurance in Omaha with these nine discounts
Auto insurance companies don’t necessarily list every policy discount in a way that’s easy to find, so the following list contains both well-publicized and also the more inconspicuous credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Omaha auto insurance online.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking part in a safe driver class can save you 5% or more depending on where you live.
- Telematics Devices – Omaha drivers who agree to allow companies to study their driving habits by installing a telematics device such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system could see a rate decrease as long as the data is positive.
- Responsible Driver Discounts – Insureds who avoid accidents may receive a discount up to 45% than less cautious drivers.
- Life Insurance Discount – Select car insurance companies reward you with a small discount if you purchase a life policy as well.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts can qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
- Resident Student – Older children living away from Omaha attending college and won’t have access to an insured vehicle could get you a discount.
- Bundled Policy Discount – If you have multiple policies and insure them with the same company they may give you a discount of up to 20% and get you cheaper Spectra insurance.
- Accident Waiver – This one isn’t a discount, but companies like Progressive and Allstate will forgive one accident without the usual rate increase so long as you are claim-free before the accident.
- Anti-theft System – Cars optioned with advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and will save you 10% or more on Spectra insurance in Omaha.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. So when it seems like you could get a free car insurance policy, you’re out of luck.
A partial list of companies who might offer most of these discounts possibly include:
Check with every company what discounts are available to you. Some discounts might not apply in every state.
Finding more affordable Kia Spectra auto insurance rates is actually easier than you may think. Just invest a few minutes to get quotes from different insurance companies.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer comparison quotes in Nebraska. To get the cheapest auto insurance in Nebraska, we recommend you click on several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
You may need specialized car insurance coverage
When buying the best car insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s situation is a little different so your insurance needs to address that.
These are some specific questions can aid in determining if your situation may require specific advice.
- What is an adequate liability insurance limit?
- Is business equipment covered while in my vehicle?
- Is my Kia Spectra covered for smoke damage?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- What is an umbrella policy?
- Am I covered by my employer’s commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- Are my custom wheels covered?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and may give you better protection.
Compare prices but still have a local neighborhood Omaha car insurance agent
Many drivers would rather have an agent’s advice and that is a smart decision Most agents can answer important questions and help in the event of a claim. The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is you may find lower prices but still work with a licensed agent. Buying from local insurance agencies is important especially in Omaha.
After filling out this short form, your insurance data is sent to local insurance agents in Omaha who will give you quotes for your business. It’s much easier because you don’t need to search for an agent since price quotes are sent immediately to you. If you wish to compare prices for a specific company, feel free to go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
The different types of car insurance agents
When researching a local Omaha insurance agency, you must know there are a couple different types of agents and how they can quote your rates. Car insurance agents in Omaha are categorized either exclusive agents or independent agents. Either one can write policy coverage, but it’s worth mentioning how they differ since it could factor into the type of agent you choose.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents often have many company appointments and that allows them to write policies with many different companies and get the cheapest rates. If they find a lower price, your policy is moved internally and you stay with the same agent.
When comparing rates, you absolutely need to compare quotes from a few independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison. Most also write with small regional insurance companies that many times have cheaper rates.
Below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Omaha who may provide price quotes.
- Mech Insurance
3901 Q St – Omaha, NE 68107 – (402) 731-5965 – View Map
- N P Dodge Insurance
8701 W Dodge Rd #100 – Omaha, NE 68114 – (402) 938-5008 – View Map
- Action Insurance
12100 W Center Rd #208 – Omaha, NE 68144 – (402) 697-8181 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel can usually just insure with one company and examples are American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. Exclusive agents cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so they really need to provide good service. They are usually well trained on their company’s products and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Drivers often buy from the same agent for years mostly because of the brand rather than low rates.
Listed below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Omaha willing to provide rate quotes.
- Janice Peterson – State Farm Insurance Agent
9785 Q St Ste #4 – Omaha, NE 68127 – (402) 593-1899 – View Map
- American Family Insurance – Steven Moor Agency Inc.
13358 W Maple Rd – Omaha, NE 68164 – (402) 399-8200 – View Map
- Rudy Partida – State Farm Insurance Agent
639 N 98th St – Omaha, NE 68114 – (402) 333-5104 – View Map
Finding the right insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the premium amount. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
What insurance coverages do you need?
Learning about specific coverages of insurance aids in choosing the best coverages for your vehicles. Insurance terms can be impossible to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. These are the usual coverages found on the average insurance policy.
Coverage for medical payments – Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage kick in for expenses for things like hospital visits, prosthetic devices, chiropractic care and X-ray expenses. The coverages can be used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. It covers not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and also covers if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP coverage is not an option in every state but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Uninsured and underinsured coverage – Your UM/UIM coverage gives you protection from other motorists when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. It can pay for hospital bills for your injuries as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Due to the fact that many Nebraska drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (which is 25/50/25), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage is very important. Normally your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Coverage for liability – This coverage protects you from damages or injuries you inflict on other people or property. It protects you against claims from other people, and does not provide coverage for your own vehicle damage or injuries.
It consists of three limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see values of 25/50/25 that means you have $25,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, $50,000 for the entire accident, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property. Occasionally you may see one number which is a combined single limit which provides one coverage limit rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability coverage pays for claims such as attorney fees, repair bills for other people’s vehicles, pain and suffering, legal defense fees and funeral expenses. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a decision to put some thought into, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as high a limit as you can afford. Nebraska requires drivers to carry at least 25/50/25 but drivers should carry higher limits.
The chart below shows why the minimum limit may not provide you with enough coverage.
Collision coverage – Collision insurance pays for damage to your Spectra caused by collision with another car or object. You first must pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers things such as scraping a guard rail, crashing into a building and damaging your car on a curb. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to increase the deductible on your Spectra to bring the cost down.
Comprehensive coverages – Comprehensive insurance coverage will pay to fix damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims like fire damage, rock chips in glass, a broken windshield, vandalism and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The most you’ll receive from a claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider dropping full coverage.
Lower rates by being persistent
Cheaper car insurance in Omaha can be found on the web and from local insurance agents, so you need to shop Omaha auto insurance with both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers may not offer the ability to get quotes online and these small, regional companies only sell coverage through independent agents.
When shopping online for car insurance, it’s a bad idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. In too many instances, an insured cut physical damage coverage and learned later that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The proper strategy is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
More tips and info about car insurance is located by following these links:
- Rollover Crash FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes After a Speeding Ticket in Omaha? (FAQ)
- Your Car has been Stolen: Now What? (Allstate)
- Shopping for a Safe Car (Insurance Information Institute)